The circus that is known as election time is upon us. On November 2nd, citizens of the USA get to elect which sociopathic dimwit gets to rule represent us for the next couple of years. Amongst the usual rhetoric in order to persuade the ‘useful idiots’ to vote for assclown 1 over assclown 2 is the call to ‘tax the rich!’. After all, they can afford it and god forbid people have to live off there own labour rather than stealing from others. The cry to tax the rich particularly irks me though as politicians get the useful idiots all riled up as they believe they can get something for nothing.
Bearing in mind, the ‘rich’ usually own businesses, I want to do a little mental exercise. Please don’t get caught up with the numbers, they are merely pulled out of thin air to emphasise my point.
My name is Joe Bloggs, and I own a small restaurant somewhere in the US. Each year, I make a profit total of $1 million USD. After I have complied with the minimum wage regulations, health care regulations, and the other million or so regulations that all businesses have to comply with in the US, I now have a profit total of $500,000 USD. Uncle Sam then comes in and hits me with taxes and my profits now fall to $250,000, but, due to the useful idiots who voted for the assclown who would ‘tax the rich’ at the last elections, tax is actually up this year so now my profits are actually down to $210,000. The problem is, I still have to pay my suppliers for the year which is a bill of $200,000. Last year, I had $50,000 left over which was just enough to put a roof over my head and food in my stomach. This year, I have $10,000 left over. I am now left with several choices;
- Increase my prices to make up for the shortfall
- Take a hit on my profit margin
- Fire somebody
With choice 1, the new tax I am hit with is passed onto the consumer. With choice 2, I will not have enough money to survive on. With choice 3, somebody has to lose there job.
Choice 2 is simply not feasible, and choices 1 and 3 means the tax on the rich is now a tax on the middle class! (The person who was fired in choice 3 will now be on welfare thus living off other tax payers).
It is important to understand there is no such thing as a free meal. Every time we want to live off the labour of others, other people have to do without. This is precisely the reason Thomas Jefferson said “…democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%”.
This year, if you decide to vote for assclown 1 or 2, don’t fall for the usual rhetoric. The only way to create prosperity is by removing the shackles that regulations and tax places on business owners. Only then can we begin to restore this once great republic. Until then, we are just another squallid democracy where “51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%”. In this case, the ‘right’ is the fruit of people’s labour.